Saturday, January 23, 2010

Muffins x 5

What's Baking?
I baked five different types of muffins for a breakfast board meeting using recipes from King Arthur Flour.  Since I was trying all new recipes, I figured four out of five should come out well, but King Arthur Flour recipes are tested and are very reliable so they all came out great!  They are Blueberry Muffins, Morning Glory Muffins, Simply Sinful Cinnamon Muffins, Bran Muffins, and Chocolate Breakfast Muffins.
Each recipe was a little different from the next in terms of ingredients and method of preparation. One called for buttermilk, one had vinegar, some used oil, some butter, one dump all in bowl, mix and go, another cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy first.  I will post recipes, changes I made to them and details later.  

I made a few modifications to the recipes as I went.  I added a little lemon extract to the Blueberry Muffins, cranberries to the Morning Glories since I was using raisins in the bran muffins, and heath toffee chips to the Simply Sinful since I didn't want to use butterscotch and I haven't seen cinnamon chips in the store hereFor these, make sure that you put enough batter in the bottom of the muffin tin before adding the filling so that it isn't all on the bottom when done.  Maybe try two separate spoonfuls of filling separated by a little batter.  I also drizzled these with powdered sugar mixed with milk and vanilla from a baggie with a cut tip.  And, of course, I added more chocolate chips (I like mini chips here) than the recipe called for to the Chocolate Muffins!

The least interesting to me was the bran muffin, but I didn't want to use our household recipe.  I make bran muffins fairly regularly for my family and usually have some in the freezer for breakfasts and snacking, but they are not the type of muffin that would be appreciated outside of our family!  I base them on two recipes, but add different ingredients each time based on what bran cereals, fruits and healthy stuff we have on hand and make them a little different each time.  They are not sweet and are very high in fiber.  This KAF recipe porduced a decent, but plain bran muffin.  The others were all delicious!

No comments: