Monday, March 22, 2010

Chocolate Ganache Cake

What's Baking?
After yesterday's cake. I decided to try to learn more about chocolate ganache so I made Chocolate Ganache Cake  from Epicurious (Minor variations include using very strong espresso coffee instead of the espresso powder and boiling water since I recently ran out of espresso powder.  And I only had 1 cup of brown sugar so I used that and some white, but cut back the total amount.)


I made half the recipe of the ganache since that was all the heavy cream I had (think I need to do some grocery shopping soon!) and wanted to try using it whipped as a filling and plain as icing and then thinner for a glaze.  I added some royal icing flowers and am taking the cake to book club tonight so I'll let you know how it tastes.  I've read about using different proportions of cream to chocolate for different uses, but was afraid to add to it after it was all mixed so I just varied it by temperature and whipping.  Can you thin or thicken ganache by adding more liquid or chocolate?

No comments: