Sunday, January 23, 2011

Orange Almond Cake

What's baking?

I was planning to bake a cake to bring to a brunch.  First instinct is something with chocolate, but when I looked in the fridge I saw a large bag of almonds and a shelf full of these delicious, juicy Honey Bell oranges from Florida.  I found two very similar recipes.  One for an Orange and Almond Cake by Claudia Roden and one for Clementine Cake by Negella Lawson.  I was intrigued by the simplicity of the recipes and that they both called for boiling whole oranges, then grinding the whole cooked orange up and mixing in. I had to try it.  I made some orange curd and an orange glaze to go on top.  Friends said it was good (don't know if they'd tell me otherwise!)- moist and light.  I didn't tell them that the whole orange- peel and all- was in it!



No comments: